Sunday School news for December
Welcome to December! We are excited to bring the lessons of giving to others and about Jesus’ love in this season of Advent. Children will learn about stewardship using the mite boxes they were given during last month’s family worship service. Children will also finalize all the hard work they’ve done in their P.R.A.Y. workbooks.
Read on about the exciting events we have planned for children this special month:
Two events to kick off December
Family Worship Service
Our 10:30 am family worship on first Sundays gives a special time for kids to be hands on and immersed in all we do together in worship. We need youth readers & prayer leaders each month! If your kids are interested in reading our bible lessons or to lead prayers, please sign them up here.
This weekend, please have your children bring their mite boxes to the the altar during the children’s sermon. We’ll talk more about them & share a special Advent message. If you still need a mite box for your child, they will be available this weekend, or you can contact email@example.com.
Right after the 10:30 am worship service, join us in the large parish hall for an intergenerational event to kick off Advent with our “Welcome to Bethlehem” event and festivities.
We are asking for donations of children’s “board” books for children 3 & under to support Texans Can Academy of Ft. Worth, a charter school that aims to give teens a second chance at high school. Children’s books will help them with a new literacy program that encourages young moms & dads to read aloud to their children. We’ll collect books until December 16, so we can get them to Can Academy in time for Christmas. Bring books with you to Advent Fest, or with you to any service. You can also drop books off to the church office during office hours.
Christmas Eve 3 pm children’s service
Join us for a brief (40 minute) service that will surely appeal to young children and families! We will share the Christmas message, enjoy music, and share Holy Communion. Shhh, Santa will join us near our red church doors after the service and we’ll share treats! There is no nursery care at this service.
Christmas Eve 5 pm family service with pageant
New this year, we’ll have a Christmas pageant, no rehearsal required, for kids to experience the story of Jesus’s birth. Update: Please bring your child no later than 4:15 on Dec.24 to the small chapel if they’d like to participate in the pageant. Parents please make plans to help your child into a costume. We have a couple of wonderful volunteers to help with this also. If your child would like to bring an animal, angel (fairy), or shepherd-like costume from home, that is also welcomed. We are flexible! Afterward, please join us in our school building for the Elves’ Feast! There is no nursery care at this service. If you have anymore questions regarding the pageant or about Christmas Eve, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get the details of our other services here: https://www.stmartininthefields.org/events/xmas/
December Sunday School lessons
- December 9,16,23,30: Deep Blue “At Home with God”
- December 9: Godly Play: “The Mystery of Christmas”
- December 16: P.R.A.Y: “God, Me, and the Bible, “Jesus is Born”. Jesus Was Born to Be Our Savior-John 3:16
- December 23: P.R.A.Y: “I Can Talk With God”. “Jesus Prays”-Mark 1:35-38. “The Lord’s Prayer”-Matthew 6:9-13. “God Talks to Samuel”-1 Samuel 3:1-10
- December 30: P.R.A.Y.: “Because God Cares for Me, I Can Care for Others”. “Jesus Is the Good Shepherd”-Matthew 18:12-14. “Jesus is a Friend to All”-Luke 19:1-10
- December 9: P.R.A.Y: Session 4: “In God’s Family We’re Loved No Matter What! Because We’re Loved, We Follow Rules” Jesus in the Temple-Luke 2:41-52; Prodigal son-Luke 15:11-32; Ten Commandments-Exodus 20:1-17
- December 16: P.R.A.Y: “Being in God’s Family Helps Us When Things are Tough” Daniel’s friends face trouble-Daniel 3:1-30
- December 23: P.R.A.Y:Continue “Being in God’s Family Helps Us When Things are Tough” Paul and Silas in jail-Acts 16:19-34. Preparation for PRAY wrap-up: “In God’s Family, We Share As a Response to God’s Love”, John 6:1-15, Matthew 28:16-20.
- December 30: P.R.A.Y” “Eat, Share, Enjoy”, “In God’s Family, We Share As a Response to God’s Love”. More details to come on Pizza Party.
Sunday School Registration
If you are new to our Sunday school or haven’t already filled out Permission forms for your child, please fill out the forms today! Or you can fill them out when you drop your child off at Sunday School.
Stay tuned to Children’s events throughout the year through email and Facebook. Be sure to put your email address on your child’s registration form so that I can keep in touch with you throughout the Sunday School year!
Liza Goodner, Children’s Minister