Visit to Union Gospel Mission
We were blessed Saturday, October 26, 2013, to go to the Union Gospel Mission in Fort Worth. There were 7 of us from St. Martin-in-the-Fields and we did a tour of the facilities, looked at a video which tells a lot about what they do, and discussed over lunch, ways we could help. They gave us a copy of the video we can use at our church to help others see and hear the story.
Union Gospel Mission of Tarrant County is a united Christian organization and ministry dedicated to providing love, hope, respect and a new beginning for the homeless in Tarrant County. The Mission accepts no government funding, relying solely on the generosity of individuals, businesses and foundations to help provide the wonderful services to those with the greatest needs. Some of these services include:
- Emergency Care
- Resident Program for Men, Women & Families
- Children’s Enrichment
- Spiritual Development
- Healing Shepherd Clinic
- Partner Social Service Agencies
Ways we can help at SMITF include:
- Organic gardening.
- Kitchen volunteers—they need 10 for each meal, 3 days a week 365 days a year.
- Tutoring of children and adults in school and training classes.
- Making sack lunches at our church and delivering them to UGM once a week.
- Chapel and Bible study leaders twice a day, 7 days a week, however often you can volunteer.
- Warehouse sorting and organizing for distribution.
All of these and other service opportunities are posted on the church bulletin board in the hall near Mthr. Amy’s office. You can volunteer a little or a lot as you have time.
Join us in our call to help those in this mission outreach.
Email Deacon Henry Penner at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 817-905-8062. He will also set up times to show the video.