ST. MARTIN-IN-THE-FIELDS VESTRY MEETING, March 21, 2021
Present: All Present: Chris Mullaney, Bob Bess, Mary Anderson, Linda Seeber, Jim McManic, Amanda Alvarez, Melissa Kurkul, Joe Stark, Julie Sutton, Keen Haynes, Bob Garrity
Absent: DJ Mitchell
Also Present: Paula Jefferson, Sue Mitchell, Liza Goodner and Gary Wilkinson
Vestry of St. Martin-in-the-Field Episcopal Church was held Sunday, March 21, 2021 virtually via zoom meeting. The meeting was opened with prayer by the Very Rev. Ron Pogue at 12:35 p.m.
Keen Haynes made a motion to approve the Annual Meeting Minutes
Bob Bess second: Vestry voted to approve.
Minutes from the February, 2021 meeting were approved as distributed, no revisions.
Lisa Goodner: Scout Update
- Reported that there are three potential scout projects – sidewalk to the flag pole, benches to be replaced and a possible outdoor movie screen.
- Liza requested a fundraiser for the projects. Discussion
- Bob Bess made a motion to approve a fundraiser and Chris Mullaney seconded.
- Vestry voted to approve a fundraiser.
Treasurer’s Report: Gary Wilkinson for DJ Mitchell
Treasurer’s Report Approved:
- Gary said the church is doing well and will continue to monitor the expenses.
- Monthly Spending was approximately $5,900
- Ahead on pledges
Finance Committee Report: Gary Wilkinson
- Committee reviewed all reports and the scouting report for projects
- Reported that the electric company will help with outside lighting
- Bob Bess made a motion to receive the reports and Bob Garrity seconded.
- Vestry voted to accept the treasurer’s and finance committee reports.
Rector search committee: Sue Mitchell
- Monday March 15th was the deadline for applicants.
- Multiple candidates, ½ have passed red flag check
- Will conduct introduction interview with a 2nd interview being more in depth.
- Mock interviews are being set p with Canon Waggoner.
- Sue reported that the committee feels very positive about the process
Endowment – St Martin’s Cloak – update:
- Discussed setting up endowment committee and a team to serve as a governing board
- Team will be/should be comfortable speaking with people about estate planning and be able to work with the group that currently manages our funds.
Senior Warden: Keen Haynes
- Vestry members need to complete background checks
- Executive Council Report:
- Discussed legal challenge and need to vacate by April 9th.
- Name change for dioceses
- Food Pantry and Offices will move with St. Luke’s
Junior Warden: Bob Bess and Chris Mulaney
- Locks on church and offices changed to keypads. Looking to change one door to the parish hall to a keypad.
- Parking lot lighting replaced. Continue working on all lighting
- Announced a church workday – April 11th. 12:30 – 3:30 (tentative end time)
- Bob announced the 8 channel mixer is being replaced with a 16 channel.
- Asked for approval to donate the 8 channel mixer to Chuck Taylor for all his time he has spent helping at church.
- Julie Sutton made a motion and Linda Seeber seconded the request
- Vestry voted and approved.
- Chris will publish the Holy Mowers Schedule this week.
- Reminders about Vestry Person in Charge and Lunch/Closing Prayer Schedule.
- Easter and Holy Week schedule is out. No Easter Vigil
- Baptism Easter morning – new family with 2 children.
- Announced Discovery Weekend on Zoom for April 16-18th.
- Announced Stage 1 opening – 10:30 will open with app 15% occupancy with reservations and will open the parish hall to live stream.
- Stage II – 8:00 am service and Christian Formation for all 9:15-10:15
Curate’s Report: Paula Jefferson
- Shared about her experience at the Hillsboro church and their spirit. April they hope to be in a new space.
- Discussion about restarting a new group of Human Flourishing in the fall and using the same books.
- Next Book – Speaking of Sin by Barbara B. Taylor
Adjournment and Closing Prayer at 1:45
NEXT REGULAR VESTRY MEETING WILL BE SUNDAY, APRIL 18TH AT 12:30 PM