Growing a Rule of Life – Daily Lenten Series & Sunday Discussion
This Lent, we invite you to participate in a daily devotion and a weekly 12:30 pm Sunday class that are connected, using a series designed so that everyone in our community can participate.
“Growing a Rule of Life” is a video series and reflection workbook designed so that everyone can participate. In this series of short, daily videos over five weeks, the brothers of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist (SSJE) invite us to focus on God as the Chief Gardener of our souls and use a tool from monastic spirituality called a ‘Rule of Life’ to explore and cultivate our relationships with God, self, others, and creation.
Just as stakes and lattices nurture the growth of young plants, so too can spiritual disciplines support the flourishing of our whole being. Join in to dig deep and dream big about ways to live into a more abundant life with Christ.
Each day of Lent there is a mobile-friendly video, a provocative question and a call to reflect either in the workbook or on social media. On Sundays, adults and older kids can gather after coffee hour at 12:30 pm to discuss and share in a forum facilitated by the Rev. Scot McComas. Childcare will be provided.
How to get started
- Subscribe to receive the daily video from SSJE: ssje.org/ssje/growrule/
- Download a PDF from SSJE here
Daily beginning February 10
- Watch the reflection video; once you subscribe, it will arrive by a link in an early morning email
- Ponder the thought-provoking question at the end of the video over the course of the day; journal your thoughts if you wish
- Share your thoughts using #growrule on your preferred social media sites
Sundays at Church, February 14 – March 13
- Join us in the small blue parish hall in the education building after the 10:30 service for clergy-led reflection and discussion.
- If you’re using SSJE’s workbook to jot or journal your reflections, bring it!
If you have questions, please contact Father Scot McComas at email@example.com.